I recently had to figure out how to save my git credentials, so i wouldn’t have to keep typing them repeatedly.
The references below helped me get past the issue. Some notes below:
- The credentials are set separately for each repo.
- Read the documentation that is provided with “git help credentials”
- “Credential helpers, on the other hand, are external programs from which Git can request both usernames and passwords; they typically interface with secure storage provided by the OS or other programs.”
- I ended up using a Credential manager
- I installed the Git Credential manager for Windows.
- Initially the command “git config –list” did not have a ‘credential.helper’ set
- As mentioned in the reference #2, i set it by using : git config credential.helper manager.
- After doing this, I could save my username and password and avoid the repetiotion
$ git help credentials. <--Read this! Very Useful